Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: The Soldier and Dead Girl : A Post-Apocalyptic Love Story

  1. #1
    Inactive Member thetokyobombdisaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 6th, 2004
    Posts
    50
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    here is a short film i have recently finished. it requires quicktime pro. let me know what you think. just simply right click the link, and click on "save target as" and then save the file to your computer.

    http://static.zed.cbc.ca/users/t/the...deadgirlhi.mov

    i'm sure it's not up to the standards of most of you, but i'm still young, and you have to start somewhere. i would enjoy it if you busted by balls over it.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member andyblaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 25th, 2001
    Posts
    219
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Loved it. Sound was good, music was great. What was it? The performance was good, the lead actor is you I'm asuming. Also good editing and very cool location.

    It definately kept my interest right until the end. I actualy was quite dissapointed it finished as I wanted to know more about the characters and the world they were in.

    What was it shot on? The auto-exposure was quite noticeable so I'm assuming DV/Hi8. The codec you used was pretty bad, you should play around trying to get it to not look so blocking. There were patches where it went very very blocking, I'm guessing this wasn't intentional but if it was parred down slightly it would be a pretty interesting transition.

    I really liked the titles aswell, it all felt very retro to me.

    You've really got talent.

    Keep it up.

    Andy

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Vlad the Impaler's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 3rd, 2001
    Posts
    334
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    is it purposely blocky? It was unwatchable for me really but is a great idea

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Yammeryammeryammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 30th, 2002
    Posts
    337
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I liked it. Considering there was a cast and crew of 3, it is quite interesting. It had that sort of Omega Man feel I had hoped would be there, and the music choices were quite good. It took me 7 films to get something as good sounding as this. Not bad at all for an early film. Keep on making 'em.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member darko06's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 15th, 2004
    Posts
    38
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I thought it was OK.

    The idea was good. The music was good. The acting was good.

    However, for most of it , I didn't have a clue what was going on, or what the guy was talking about.It could have been made clearer in my opinion.

    Also, with a nuclear bomb as devestating as that, how could the woman have survived. She would have been wiped out, disintegrated.

    By the way, I downloaded that footage from Kazaa. It's terrifying.

    Anyway, what you have produced is fantastic for a first, so keep up the good work.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Kev Owens's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    701
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    i'm sure it's not up to the standards of most of you
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]confused.gif[/img] The most bullshit comment I've ever read on Hostboard. Is that a lack of self-confidence or reverse psychology?

    Anyway, the acting was dicey, the file was very poor and I couldn't help but be distracted by little things like shit costume and stuff- I'm being very picky there I admit. My point however is that I still liked it; there's a charm to it, so simple yet quite touching. The music is fantastic, and it's possibly that that gives it an extra dimension- but for a first film I'd be very proud and confident to go further taking issue with the technical mistakes made here.

  7. #7
    windowslaws
    Guest windowslaws's Avatar

    Post

    i didn't really enjoy it if I'm honest. it was admittedly difficult to see it all cos of the blockiness.

    i thought the music didn't suit the actual film but technically the film seemed alright. but the audio wasn't clear at times, the beginning got too blocky for me to see what was happening (when the guy was picking something up?)

    i don't want to pick at small points as i'm sure you know them already; but it simply bored me, lost me as he arrived at the hut/shelter.

    but if you've got any other stuff on the internet i would like to see it!

  8. #8
    Inactive Member thetokyobombdisaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 6th, 2004
    Posts
    50
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    thanks for all the comments...i'm pretty new to video streaming, so i apologize for all the blockiness. it was shot on a cannon DV, but i cant exactly remember, it was for a class. as for the omega man comment, i love that movie and i love charlton heston,so even mentioning that is a bonus. thanks again

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Vertino's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 9th, 1999
    Posts
    388
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I download The Solider & The Dead Girl last week... but hadn't got round to watching it until today!!!

    At first I thought the titles were cheesey as hell, then when the music just cut out I thought what the hell have I let myself in for!

    The bad encoding of the file did make it difficult to watch, especially when the guy reached the house and the tempo of the film changed, (bad macroblock timing)!

    The thing I like about your film is that it did something that most other shorts (from the Exposure forum) missed... that was the human emotion. In a world of devastation, people still look for love.

    Reminds me of the book... "Z for Zacharia"

    Where did you get the music from?

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Chance4321's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 20th, 2004
    Posts
    48
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I downloaded this, have to say hte encoding was terrible and that did make it hard to watch however this idea of a soldier

    bsatt03 vi

    and the film being set in a post apocalyptic world

    dlblue204 vi

    and also there being a dead girl

    dlint01 vi


    soundeed strangely familiar and i felt myself somehow drawn to watch all the way through it.

    as feedback, i would ay you went to a lot of effort for the location (or that how it comes across) but i feel you could put a lot more effort into well everything... else. film suffereed from low producion values, which i feel if you had put more effort into the porducion values i would of made the actual story stand out more rather than it looking like your mate going around in a old gasmask and stumbling over a girl,

    and what was tthat scarf ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •